Hey look at me one week later and I am still keeping my word! Of course there is still time for me to fall off the consistency wagon 😉 This weeks Music Monday is a musician recommendation! Drum roll please
*drum rolling* * cymbal crash*
Imelda May! The woman is a goddess and is my serious girl crush 😉
I first came to hear Imelda May was when my mother turned to PBS to watch a tribute to Les Paul. Imelda was performing in the most fabulous orange and gold dress I have ever seen, and her look is what got my attention initially, but then I heard her sing! Oh wow, I typically do not get terribly enthusiastic over female singers, because more often than not they sound the same as all the others, and do not impress much. Imelda has a signature sound and her vocals are KILLER! Seriously she sings with so much passion and attack you can not take your eyes off of her, and certainly cannot tune her out! I mean in order to preform next to Jeff Beck and still be the one getting the attention you have to be a powerhouse, and she is just that. Imelda sings several styles of music Blues, Jazz, and of course Rockabilly. She is not to be outdone, and I feel she is bringing rockabilly out of the underground and into the mainstream. I would highly encourage you to go out buy one of her albums because she is amazing. I own her album Mayhem and positively love it. Here is a music video of hers that I adore so check her out and let me know what you guys think. Have a Happy Musical Monday.
It is no secret that I adore the 50’s. So I thought I might do a post on why I should’ve been around during that time!
1. The cars!!! Oh my word the cars from the 50’s are art in motion!
2. The music! I for one am more of a Cash fan than a Presley! I mean Elvis is great and all, but no one can touch Johnny Cash!
3. The hairstyles! No lazy ugly hair here! Even when the women would put their hair up in a ponytail it was still gorgeous!
4. The clothes! My goodness why oh why are these styles not the norm anymore?
5. What was considered beautiful for the time! Back when the women who were the icons of beauty actually had normal looking figures! Now I will not say only real women have curves, because there are plenty of girls who are naturally very slim! All I am saying is that the beauty industry and media of today push girls to unrealistic “body ideals”! It is not ok to over eat nor is it ok to starve yourself! Natural is always more beautiful! So accept the body you have and take care of it! Sorry enough preaching 😉
6. The way guys looked! I for one am a total sucker for a retro style on a man!
Oh my goodness I just love Bing Crosby and Bob Hope! Now there are some funny men!
7. Dating! Now I know the dating scene in the 50’s was probably nowhere near as innocent as it has been portrayed, but it was probably a good deal more innocent than today’s dating! The rules of dating were a good deal more clear then too! The guy’s asked the girls out, the guys picked up the check, or they made sure you knew that you were going dutch, and they were good deal more respectful of personal boundaries. Boy things sure were different back then!
I really hope you all enjoyed this post and my rambling 😉 Happy Tuesday! I love you guys!